Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spinach


Hey MA,
Love the radishes! I am going to get some seed today and try to grow some. We have pulled up our Broccoli Rabe - it bolted before we could use it. I'm still getting into this gardening thing and not always sure when to harvest.
But, harvest spinach I did....On Monday I spent two hours washing, blanching, cooling and freezing nearly 10 lbs of spinach.
We had a potluck to attend that night and I was determined NOT to go to the store. I'm really trying hard to only grocery shop twice a week, even if that means going w/o a green salad one night or forgoing milk for a day. I find that every time I walk into a grocery store I end up spending $40.
So, I looked around the cupboards to find something for the potluck. The result? Bittman had a great recipe combining chickpeas, spinach and paneer. I didn't have paneer, but I did have a Mexican cheese leftover from our tacos the night before (Doug made a brisket and I had mushrooms topped w/ cabbage and green chile...). I also had frozen tomato sauce from last summer and frozen coconut milk.
The recipe is simple....
3 cups tomato sauce combined w/ 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Add a tablespoon of curry powder and a pinch of salt and sugar.
In a 9 x 13 pan add 4 cups of cooked chickpeas, 1 lb of spinach cooked and chopped, a handful of non-melty cheese (farmers', panner or even tofu) and the curried coconutty tomato sauce. Bake for 30 min at 400.
YUM!
The potluck was canceled due to the rain, but our family was not disappointed as we gobbled it up. But, it made so much that we had enough left over for Doug to make 4 lunches and freeze.
Today I'm going to continue harvesting spinach to freeze. But, I'm also thinking about making another spinach-y casserole. I have some millet and cheese...Thinking of a making a millet-crust topped with sauteed spinach and onions mixed w/ a couple of eggs and topped with some cheddar...
And, then maybe tomorrow I'll go to the store. Maybe.
I'll try to send more pics of the garden...
Hope you all are having a good Food Page day...
xo

1 comment: