Monday, July 6, 2009

Comfort Cleansing Food


Hey Marianne!

Love those Bento boxes! I might have to get them for Stella and Ruby this year. I know that Ruby especially loves things compartmentalized -- on so many different levels! I wonder though if my budding pre-teen would balk at them? Hmmm.... I just started using those nifty cloth sandwich wraps, which are great unless someone (ahem, RUBY) loses them on their second day of camp. Oy!

Last night Doug and Ruby returned from their "father-daughter" South Dakota bonding adventure. They had a blast going to Mt Rushmore, Evan's Plunge, Custer, as well as visiting places in the pandhandle of Nebraska and bumping through little towns in Wyoming en route home. About two hours away from our house Doug called and told me that he was excited to get home because after just two days on the road of eating all-American food he was coming undone. He said that after their second diner meal Ruby started asking for Thai food. Intepretation: fresh veggies and flavor...

So, I looked in my cupboard and fridge and created a hippy-centric meal: lentils simmered in light coconut milk, half an onion and two bunches of spinach. Served it over brown rice and with a side of frozen whole wheat roti (you can get them at Costco). A satisfying meal indeed. Ruby took one bite of lentils and her whole face lit up. She smiled up at me and said, "Mama, these lentils are sooooooo good!" Melted my heart.

And, what did Stella and I do on our weekend? We mountain biked, gardened, read (I showed her what bliss was: staying in bed all of Sunday morning and reading the entire New York Times), raced go-karts, ate at all the places we wanted to in town that we hadn't gone before, and went to two movies. On the 4th of July I took her to see the new Food Inc. It was preaching to the choir for me, but it literally shocked her little brain. It was one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.foodincmovie.com/

How was CT?!

Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment