Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fast food pantry style

Hey there Annie!
I'm so envious thinking about you guys hanging out in New Mexico right now and eating up all those green chilies. I just don't understand why someone hasn't marketed Big Jims on the east coast.
I've got the kids hooked on salads these days. Started by putting nice creamy dressing on good greens and cucumbers. Slowly introduced dressings that I like, which are a bit more tart and they are still digging in. A staple around here, especially on work nights, is CB's Artichoke Salad. My friend Carolyn (aka CB) made scrumptious vegan salads every day on our vacation last year and I return to them often when I'm pressed for time. I call it "Fast food from the pantry." A couple points to note: the lentils must be of the French variety and be sure the lemon is organic because the rind is key. Use canned artichokes so you can whip this up fast.


Artichoke-Lentils-Lemon Salad
1 can artichoke hearts
1 lemon
1 cup French lentils
Olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Cook lentils until they are done to your liking (~30 to 40 mins)
Grate rind from lemon into your mixing bowl
Sqeeze juice from half lemon into same bowl
Toss in artichokes
After lentils have cooked and cooled just a wee bit, throw them into the bowl
Sprinkle S&P and splash some olive oil
Taste
If it needs a bit more zing, squeeze that other half of lemon

Sounds simple, right?! It is and the taste will delight everyone.

Miss you guys!
MArianne

No comments:

Post a Comment