Monday, May 11, 2009

Life is sweet

Guten Tag, Annie!
So my German host brother visited me this weekend and we had a lovely day of hanging out and rapping like the teenage kids we were way back in 1986. So beautiful how some people can fit right back into your life. Andreas brought some German chocolates for the kids. Guess what? No high fructose corn syrup. Can you believe it? I asked him about HFCS and he was not all that familiar with it. (Makes me wonder if the "average" American understands the evil nature of this insidious beast.)
According to Informed Choices web blog:
the EU sugar market is highly regulated, and isoglucose [high fructose corn syrup] production is limited to 2% or so of sugar production, accounting for why isoglucose has not replaced sugar in Europe to the same extent that HFCS has done in the US (read more)
Reminds me of a story my buddy Tom shared with me one time. He was in France and stopped at a small market to get some fresh greens and asked if the produce was organic. The shop keeper replied, "You are in France. It's all organic." I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but nevertheless, Europeans are extremely conscious of the evils of big ag.
Here? Well, if it's cheap and plentiful it must be good, right?
Saltyandsour,
Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment