Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tamale pie...


Hey MA,

Love the coffee grind idea! Although we stopped drinking coffee, I have begun having an afternoon hit pre-run. I've read a few articles about the affects of caffeine on physical performance, so before a run or a set of intervals, I make myself a one-cupper of Joe and I FLY out the door! Next time I'll make the coffee and save the grinds...

Just back from a field trip with Ruby's K/1 class. We went up to a ranch just north of Boulder where they preserved a lot of the old buildings, as well as having a resident blacksmith. We toured a small log home and the kids were able to see a wood burning stove that served both as the main source of heat and place to cook. Amazing how in a space about 8 ft x 8 ft an entire family cooked and relaxed for decades! We're so spoiled...they also showed us how the pioneers washed clothes. I find myself yearning for simpler ways, but doing laundry the "old fashioned" way is certainly not one of them.

A few weeks ago a recipe for tamale pie appeared in the Daily Camera. Although it's not corn season, I splurged and bought some frozen organic corn to make this recipe. I was jonesing for green chile and beans. I knew it would be a recipe that would please my desire for spice and the kids' love of beans and corn. I made only half the recipe because I didn't want any leftovers.

Here's the reprint of the article:

One my family's favorite foods is tamale pie, but not the heavy masa laden type that sits in your gut for too long. Instead, I adapted a recipe from Sunset Magazine for Green Corn Tamale Pie, which was is based on the Tucson style of tamales and made mostly of fresh corn.

It's the same style of the Amaizing Corn Tamales at the Boulder County Farmers' Market. While I can't claim that my humble homemade version can touch those delicious edibles, this simple recipe is still tasty enough to keep my family and me very happy. It's a simple, simple recipe with ground up fresh corn kernels, olive oil, salt and tamale flour, and it's good for you to boot.

I buy a 5-five pound bag of frozen organic corn from a warehouse store. That makes a lot of tamale pie. In the summer, I'll use fresh corn.

The recipe is also easy to customize. Let every family member pick their toppings. My personal favorite: a runny egg, grated sharp cheddar cheese, homemade red chile sauce, grilled onion, chopped tomato and cilantro.

The corn base is cheap and healthy. If you use meat or chicken, you don't need much. And most importantly, it's an economical recipe that doesn't make you feel deprived in any way. As my kids say when I tell them what's for dinner. "Tamale pie. Yum!"

Green Corn

Tamale Pie 7 cups uncooked corn kernels, defrosted if frozen

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1½ teaspoons salt

1/3 cup masa flour for tamales (see note)

Directions: Puree the corn kernels, olive oil and salt with a food processor or immersion blender. It doesn't have to be absolutely smooth -- a few whole kernels are good. Mix in the tamale flour. Spray two 9-inch pans with cooking spray. Spread a layer of the corn mixture in each pie plate. It should be about 3/4- to an inch thick. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake one hour in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven, leave covered, and let it steam for 10 more minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Note: Make sure to buy masa flour for tamales, which is more coarsely ground than masa harina. I like Maseca brand, which is available in grocery stores and Latin markets.

Serves 6 to 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment